Sunday, November 21, 2010

Jill's Netflix Movie Reviews

I have a sore throat today. I feel bad enough to be housebound, but not sick enough to be bed-ridden. So, I'm sitting here in 2 sweaters drinking C-Boost and I decided I'd catch you up on my latest netflix movie watching. They are in no particular order.

The Cherry Orchard. I was drawn to this because it is a classic play that I have never seen. It also has Gerard Butler in it and as I am a fan, I watched it. It's an early performance and it is horrid as is a lot of his early work. I have watched a lot of Gerard's movies and I am beginning to think that "300" and "P.S. I Love You" was the height of his career. It is long and pretty boring, it took me 2 sessions to finish it but I feel good (in "I just ate my vegetables" sort of way) that now I finally know the classic story.


Ondine. I loved it!! I'm not going to say much because I don't want to spoil it for you. A cool story and Irish accents, it's hard to ruin that. And Colin Farrell is not hard to look at either. Watch it!

Kadosh. Very interesting peek into Orthodox Jewish life. The cover makes it look more provokative than it is. There are a couple of sex scenes but the story is good. (I say that for my student's benefit) If you can't make it through the whole movie, at least watch the opening scenes.

Babies. Loved it! Watch it! You may say, "Jill, how can almost 2 hours of watching babies with no narration or dialog be any good?" Just watch it!




Bright Star. Beautiful. Sad story. Beautiful images. Watch it!


John James Audubon. Documentary about the famous artist. Very good! Watch it!


Everlasting Moments. Ok, this is where you and I will part ways. I loved it!! It is a very sad and depressing story - domestic violence - but I fell in love with the the main character, a strong creative woman who falls in love with photography. I love the way the movie looks.


The Last Song.  I had to watch it because it was filmed on Tybee Island, one of my most favorite spots in the world and I love Greg Kinnear. But it was so stinking hard to watch!!!! Miley Cyrus is such a bad actress it hurts. But it was fun to see places that I know on Tybee. And Greg Kinnear's performance was really pretty good. Watch it if you dare.

1 comment:

  1. Ondine and Audobon. Those I'd like to see.
    I saw The Last Song and I agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!