Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Keys to My Cottage


As everyone knows I have this infatuation with the UK. When the Star Trek transporter is actually invented then I will go over and visit. Until then I have to watch British comdies, visit The Corner Shop , chat with Tina and her Mum and try to cook UK-ish type foods.

Yesterday, I had to go to Home Depot to get some keys made. I went to the key kiosk and asked the guy there if he could make me some keys. He grunted a positive response and I handed over my keys. After a few moments he turned and said, "Wha kinda cah do yuh have?" The word "cahhh" made me think of Boston immediately. I love an accent and I love to try to guess where people are from. I told him and he continued working silently.

I wanted him to talk some more and I needed to buy an new lock for my locker at school so I asked him if there were any locks that come with 3 keys. I was prepared to have my Boston guess verified when he responded to my question with a tumble of words that I could barely make out. Dumbfounded, I said, "what?" He repeated what he said in a most musical Scottish accent. A little star-struck, I asked him where he was from. He said "Scah-tlun." Without thinking I said, "Can I touch you?" He started laughing hysterically.

He motioned for me to follow him to the locks and I told him to keep talking just so I could hear his accent. He proceeded to tell me more about locks and I proceeded to ignore the information and listen to the lyrical sound of the words. I asked him if he was from Scotland why was he in Georgia. He said, "It's warmer."

He rattled on some more about locks and I pretended to listen and pretended that I was in a Home Depot in Scotland getting copies of keys for my cottage. I took a lock and my copied keys from him and we walked toward the front of the store and I thanked him for helping me and for talking.

I LOVE moments like that.

3 comments:

  1. Hah!I absolutely love this entry.
    This made my heart happy.
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. So, I'm gonna need more details! For now, I will assume the Home Depot near your house, um I mean your cottage. I would definitely drive out of my way to hear a Scottish accent! or Irish or Australian. I wonder how many keys I need made...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the most beautiful cottages I've see. Fantastic indeed!

    As to the blue sky in your comment, let me tell you I've never seen a REAL blue sky until I visited Tibet! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!