Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bowling for Dinner (and lunch and breakfast)

Katie and I have an affinity for eating out of a bowl. It's cozy and comfortable having all your food in one smallish container. It won't work for those of you who can't stand to have your food touching.

I also don't really care for eating at a table. I prefer to eat on the sofa, cross-legged, watching a movie, chatting and laughing. Casual-like. So, a bowl is perfect for that. You don't have to balance a plate on your knees and worry about your food sliding off into the floor or onto your pants.

So, I've decided to see how many meals I can come up with that will fit into a bowl.

This morning, I had a Breakfast Bowl. I put grits in first.

I have put crumbled buttered toast on the bottom, too. Then I fried a couple of eggs and put them on top of the grits.

                                      
I have also had scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, sausage and cheese. Any combo of those will work. Then for lunch I had a BBQ Sandwich Bowl. I told you, I'm laying off bread, so I just put the bbq and sauce in the bottom of the bowl and heated it in the microwave. If you wanted to, you could use french fries or onion rings as your first layer.

Then topped it with cole slaw. We put cole slaw ON our sandwiches in NC.

Some other Meal Bowls that I've made are:

Chili Burger Bowl: Grill a burger, add cheese if you want, ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions, chili and slaw. Cut up the burger in the bowl first so you don't have to wrestle with a knife. Then add all the ingredients that you want. I suppose you could do the same with a Chili Dog Bowl just cut up a hot dog instead of a burger.

Asian Bowl: Brown rice topped with any stir-fry combination of your choice. You could use noodles instead of rice.

Italian Bowl: Any kind of pasta and sauce topped with cheese.

Mexican Bowl: One of our favorites! Layer refried beans or black beans or pintos with seasoned beef or chicken, cheese, onion, tomato, shredded lettuce, salsa and sour cream. You could put the ingredients in any order you choose and add anything else you want. Eat with corn chips.

Chicken Club Bowl: Grilled chicken, cheese if you want, bacon, tons of lettuce and tomato topped with dressing of your choice. (Yes, a grilled chicken salad, but this is more fun to call it a Meal Bowl!)

Grilled Salmon Bowl: Same as the chicken club but with grilled salmon.

Here are some other Meal Bowls that I've thought of that I'm going to try:
Thanksgiving in a Bowl: Dressing or mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce and green beans.
All American Meatlof Dinner Bowl: Mini meatloaf made in muffin tin, mashed potatoes topped with peas.
Philly Cheese Steak Bowl: French fries, meat, cheese, mushrooms, onions and peppers.

As you can tell, you basically take anything you want to eat and put it in a bowl and you're Bowling For Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!