Sunday, August 1, 2010

Guerrilla Gardening on My Birthday

So yesterday was my birthday and my son called the night before and asked what I was going to do. I said, "Nothing much because KT is out of town and Steave has to work and since I start back to school Monday, I really just want to chill around the house." He said, "Well, I have a great idea for you." This is what I love about my son, he has the most interesting ideas. He said, "You should make seed bombs." He proceeded to tell me about how to make them and what to do with them.

Seed bombs are made with clay, compost and seeds formed into a ball and then lobbed over into empty lots or any place that could use a good sprucing up with flowers where a person may not be allowed into. The rain will break down the ball and the seeds will grow. Great for inner city vacant, scrubby places.

Well, this appealed to my Greenpeace, save the whales, tree hugger, slightly rebellious side of myself (as my son knew it would). So, I made seed bombs for my birthday!

I didn't have clay, so I looked around on the internet and found a recipe using paper.
So, I first tore up some old paper from my recycling box and put it in a big bowl.

Then I added hot water. I remembered that hot water broke down the paper faster from earlier crafting days. Then I kept smushing it down with my hands until the paper began to break down. It took a good 45 minutes to get it all soupy.


I poured the slimy mess into the blender. I'd like to give a shout out to my mother-in-law who gave me that blender 28 years ago as a wedding gift!! I still have it and it has served me faithfully through cooking and crafting experiences!


I blended it into a fine mess!
I needed cheesecloth to strain the water out with and since I didn't have any, I found an old piece of sheer drapery that I had that ended up working fabulously. I lined the colander with the fabric and poured a small amount into it.


Now, I wasn't sure when to add the seeds and after some trial and error, I finally settled that this was the best time, so I added some seeds that I had on hand. After the fact, I think I should have added a lot more seed.


Squeezed out as much water as I could...


...and had a nice little ball.



Then they needed to dry. It couldn't take too long or the seeds would sprout and it couldn't be too hot or it would kill the seeds. Since we were having a hot day, I put them out on the deck to dry.


I made one look like a duck and I smushed some of the mixture into a flexible mold to try that.
Well, a storm blew up and I had to bring them in. But before the rain ended, I threw one out to see if it would really break down and it did!

So, that was yesterday. Today, they are still not dry. So, I'm thinking that another shape would be better, like a small patty to help them dry faster.
I'll keep you up to date on the drying process and then I'll document my Guerrilla Gardening attempt.

Happy Birthday to me! And thanks to Joel for giving me a great gift!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea! I love the idea of "Guerrilla Warfare" seed bombs! Maybe it's just the Guerrilla Warfare aspect. Especially since Guerrilla Warfare helped win our Independence. I would definitely lob a few of these with you!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!