Friday, June 11, 2010

Really Cool Person Day - Dr. Corky Alexander


Yesterday, my brother was awarded his doctorate. It's a big deal. Really big. But he won't make a big deal out of it. I want to make a big deal out of it, so he is my Really Cool Person of the Day!

This is Corky in his robes on a street corner in California. He's crazy! 
His name is Jack (and I'm Jill, what was my mother thinking?) Our mother gave him the nickname Corky. I've never heard anyone, anyone call him Jack. He's 9 years older than me and 9 years younger than our sister (who's passed away some 16 odd years now). 
He was about 11 years old when "The Wreck of the Hesperus" happened: our mother died. I was 2 and our sister older. I believe it was harder on the older two than myself. After she died, things were just not right. My brother dropped out of school, got into drugs and alcohol. During that time, however, he honed his musical talents. He can play about any instrument, but my favorite is his awesome guitar playing. I love to hear him play blues on an electric guitar! Years later, at the bottom, Jesus found him. He got things straightened out, he got his GED and went to Bible college. He got married and began to pastor. He went back to college and got his master's. He started a church in Smyrna, GA and one in Rhode Island. After many years, he decided not to pastor formally and began to work with the mentally impaired doing music therapy. Yesterday, he got his doctorate from Fuller Theological Seminary, the School of Intercultural Studies. His work has been in Native American studies.
So, it's been a long road for him and I'm sure a difficult one, but he's done it!
He is happily married has 3 daughters, my beautiful nieces, 2 sons-in-law, and 2 grandsons.
He is one of the most interesting people you will find. He can talk to you about theology, barrel racing, music, BBQ, and the chupacabra, just to name a few topics.
If you'd like to follow his exploits, and they are many, go to: http://www.facebook.com/#!/caiford
I love you, my brother and congratulations!

Pop-Pop and his two grandsons

Playing mandolin...

Me and my big brother

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much. Thanks for the kind writeup. I am so glad we have survived together. We just need to celebrate that more.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!