Tuesday, June 8, 2010

For the Love of Toast

I don't usually eat anything after dinner, but the other night I stayed up late to watch "Wives & Daughters" a BBC series that I found on Netflix, and I wanted something to eat. I remembered I had bought a loaf of 9 grain italian and so decided to have some toast.
I had forgotten how good toast could be.
I decided to do a blog in homage to the lowly toast.
I got up today and did a quick internet search about the history of toast (which was pretty much as I suspected). Found a humorous guy named Dr. Toast and his Amazing World of Toast ( http://www.drtoast.com/) complete with recipes and a haiku about toast. I was reminded of the infamous 10 year old cheese toast that bore the image of the Virgin Mary and never went moldy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4034787.stm). That's about it. I did a search for "toast recipes" and all I found were recipes for things to put "on" toast, not for the toast itself.
"Of course there are no recipes for toast, it's just browned bread! How else can you do it?" That's what you just said, isn't it?
So, I ask, is toast only to be acknowledged as the litter carried by Nubian slaves to bear the Queen of Jams (or beans, or creamed chip beef or whatever else you want to put on it)? Let me say that you can eat toast with nothing on it. It'll be uneventful, a little dull and dry - but it can be done.
If toast's main vocation, then is to be the supporting actor in the world of food, I want to take this opportunity to give a toast to toast:
Where would butter and jam be without toast? Would you just take a bite off of the stick of butter or eat a spoonful of jam? No! They require support, help, and that's the understated glory of toast. How naked breakfast would be without toast! What about the classic British meal, "Beans on Toast"? I daresay it would never have been as popular as "Beans." Do I have to mention all the toasted sandwiches? Panini, Grilled Cheese, the Patty Melt? It is time that toast has its day. I looked at all the food holidays (http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/National_Symbols/American_Hollidays.html) and found Melba Toast Day and French Toast Day, but not just plain old Toast Day.
Toast, I thank you. From Ancient Egypt until today, you have been there for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!