Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"Boo B Trippin" Summer Excursion #1 - Marietta Square

I am a 6th grade teacher and during the year I am tethered to home and school. So, in the summer I try to get out and about as much as possible.

*NOTE: Last year, I took a day trip into Atlanta with my kids and I met a homeless man. I gave him some money and he held out his arms and said, "Give me a hug, Boo." So, that's where I got the name for my day trips - "Boo B Trippin." I am Boo and I am trippin' not in a drug related way, but in a "going on a trip" way.

So, today, I went to Marietta Square. The main destination was "The Corner Shop" where you can buy things from the UK.
I wanted to find out if I had truly made Beans on Toast correctly. I spoke to the store owner and she confirmed that YES! I had indeed made them correctly. So happy was I! She told me all about a proper English breakfast (which does include beans) and showed me where she was born on a map of the UK. She was born on an island off the coast of Wales. I met her friend who confirmed that Beans on Toast is classic British comfort food and told me of many other things you can eat "on toast." Nice ladies with great accents.

I then went to one of my favorite inspiration shops on the Square, Doodlebugs. Cute, trendy, crafty items for sale. You know, the kind of stuff you never buy because you think you can make it.

I poked around in a couple of antique shops. I bought Katie a magnifying glass necklace. I passed by Theater in the Square. The alley beside the theatre is so pretty, I had to take a picture of it.
There are a lot of cute, little shops on the Square. The center of the Square is a park where people eat lunch, they have concerts, people get married, and people get engaged - that's where Joel proposed to his Katie.

The Square is also known as Glover Park and many people contributed to its restoration back in the 70's. Two of its contributors were Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

Before I left the Square, I stopped by an antique store that has vinyl albums and picked a few for Katie from the $1 bin.

On the way home, I passed "The Brumby" which are loft apartments that are located in the old Brumby Rocker factory. They are famous rocking chairs made in Marietta, GA (http://www.brumbyrocker.com/)


And, of course, you can't go anywhere in or around Atlanta without seeing construction. Because, as they say, "After Sherman went through, Atlanta started rebuilding and they haven't stopped!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!