Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Can Barbecue Really be the Second Objective?


I'm off today to visit my father and my stepmother in Virginia. I haven't seen them in 5 years. My stepmother is recovering from surgery for lung cancer and still in the hospital. My father is 88 years old. We're going to eat and watch television. We will eat barbecue and peach cobbler. That's what we do.

From here, we have to go through South Carolina and North Carolina to get to Virginia. If you go to South Carolina you MUST pick up some peaches. And if you go to North Carolina you MUST eat barbecue. North Carolina is known for its barbecue with a vinegar based sauce. I will also eat barbecue in South Carolina when I pick up the peaches. I will also eat it in Virginia. There's a place near my father's house called "Short Sugar's." I think it is my favorite barbecue, ever! Then Dad and I will make peach cobbler in his cobbler pan and eat it while watching something historical on television.

The prime objective: visit with the parents. Second objective: eat barbecue and peach cobbler.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, and I really love your header! This post made me laugh, thinking about bbq. We recently moved to VA from LA and it's interesting how different bbq is here - and how seriously people differentiate between regional types of bbq! NC bbq is #3 on my list (love that vinegar, yumm), after #2 LA and #1 HI.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!