Saturday, June 25, 2011

In a Cloud of Nostalgia

"I feel like I've never had a home, you know? I don't know exactly where I fit in... There's always this kind of nostalgia for a place, a place where you can reckon with yourself."
~Sam Shepard


That's me on the far right with my hand on my hip. I can't remember if this is my high school graduation party or my 18th birthday.

I dreamed the other night that I was giving my daughter a tour of the house I grew up in. I was very excited to show her all the little details that were interesting to me - the glass doorknobs, the pushbutton light switches, etc.

I'm putting together a little cookbook for Katie with recipes from family and friends and including little stories and memories in it.

My last child's upcoming wedding marks the end of a chapter and the beginning of another.

I found an old friend on facebook. A flood of memories came back of the time right before that picture above was taken. In looking through his photographs, I was reminded of North Carolina beaches and Calabash seafood, the best in the world.

See. I'm in a cloud of nostalgia.

I always struggle (and anyone who reads my blog or hears me talk knows ad nauseum) with feeling like I belong. I am very jealous of those who can say: "I am from..." and you can see it in them, you can hear it in their speech, you can see traces of it in what they do.

I want to feel like I belong somewhere. I was born, raised and grew up in NC but I never felt like I fit in there. When I moved to GA I felt more at home with the people here, but I still feel like an outsider. 

I want to go "home" and sit and think about what I've done and where I've been. I want to reckon with myself.  

1 comment:

  1. Boston is your "home" You belong here!

    Didn't you know that Garcia and Libramento are the same in Boston? We share the same last name. So come home to your family... Is it working? Are you packed yet?

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!