Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Rolling Stones, Airports and Kidneys

The title sums up my day yesterday.

A friend of mine, younger than me, is in need of a kidney transplant. I went with her sister yesterday and hung out with them in waiting rooms at Emory while she was having some tests done. We went out to lunch and laughed enjoying those little pleasures that you do when life gets entirely too weird.

It reminded me of the days when my life was consumed by doctor's visits, hospital stays, medical tests, scary moments when my sister was terminally ill. Little things like a good sandwich and a laugh till you cry were the best gifts you could get during those days.

She looked good, the circumstances around this kind of thing are as good as they get and there is hope and health to look forward to.

Later in the day I went to pick up Mike at the airport. We had an easy pickup, right on time, a good dinner and some good conversation about current events, theology and of course Dallas' win over Miami.

In the evening I pulled out my newest Netflix choice: Shine a Light, a participant in my Summer Concert Series. I decided on it because Katie had asked me a question about Keith Richards and I thought it would be fun to see this Martin Scorsese movie/video thing.


I was disappointed. I've never been a huge Rolling Stones fan and I had hoped there would be a lot of history and footage from bygone days. There was some, but there was more recent concert footage. I hate to say it, but they're pretty boring. Maybe they were more entertaining when they were younger. But they all looked like they needed a good nap and a visit with their grandkids. The guitars sounded like I do when I play Rock Band. So, I fast forwarded through it and caught the little snippets of black and white footage of their glory days.

Today, Katie is home from Texas and the wedding planning shall recommence. I'm looking my eyes out at wedding photography websites this morning and will be securing porta-potties this afternoon.

Hope you have a lovely day!

1 comment:

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!