Sunday, April 17, 2011

Charlie Chaplin

So yesterday was Charlie Chaplin's birthday. I know he's dead, but it was his birthday nonetheless.


Me. In honor of his birthday.

I have always, always, always loved Charlie's work. I know he was kicked out of the country during the McCarthy era, had troubled romances and seemed to be in court a lot - but did you know he was part Romani and he started United Artists along with Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford and D.W.Griffith? He was a pioneer and a genius!

I can't say that I love silent films, I really don't. But I do love Charlie's films.

When I was in Jr. High, I agreed to be in a talent show. I wrote and performed a "Chaplin-esque" skit complete with pie fight. It was a lot of fun and a lot of clean up!

For a Christmas party one year, we had to go dressed as our favorite childhood character. I went as, yes you guessed it, Charlie Chaplin.

I was so excited when the film "Chaplin" came out. Robert Downey, Jr. did an amazing job capturing Charlie's ballet-like movements. Charlie was a perfect combination of athleticism and grace.

So, happy birthday Charlie, from me, a fan.


Watch this short assortment of clips. You'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!