Tuesday, July 6, 2010

More Adventures in British Food - Mushy Peas


When I visited my Dad a few weeks ago, he showed me the lastest discoveries he had made while researching our family tree. He found out that we have a few relatives from Kent, England. I did a little looking around on the internet when I got home and found that the people from one particular part of Kent are believed to be the inspiration for some of Jane Austen's characters. Wouldn't that be insane if one of my relatives was immortalized in one of Jane Austen's novels?

It had been a while since I had taken a gastric adventure and I got a hankering to see Tina's Mum at The Corner Shop (her name is Yvonne, but I like using the word "mum"). So, I went down to the Square to see what new British food I could try. The shop was packed!! I couldn't get in the door! I'm so glad they are doing so well! As I stood outside the door, I heard a man inquiring about Mushy Peas. I remembered my sister-in-law mentioning having Mushy Peas on her visit to England. So, that was my next adventure!

I bought a can, but not before I took a look at the map of the UK on the wall. Tina's Mum showed me where Kent was. I really wanted to feel connected to the place on the map, but it was just a map. She also showed me a cookbook that Tina had gotten at Harrod's. I bought another can of Heinz beans (I've become quite fond of beans on toast). Before I left, I asked Tina's Mum why I couldn't just get a regular can of peas and mush them up. She slowly shook her head, "no", in that kind, sympathetic way, patient with my ignorance. "It's just not the same."

Ok, so I was ready to try Mushy Peas! My prediction was that it would be like baby food, green and slimy. I read the directions on the can. Basically, just heat, but not to boiling it said. I opened the can and was surprised at the bright green color.


I scooped it in a small pan and began to heat. It was not as runny as I expected and it wasn't as slimy as I predicted. It had lumps of pea in it.


The consistency reminded me of refried beans.



This picture is not very clear, but I wanted you to see how thick it was.

The taste was not surprising, not horrible (unless you hate peas), not incredibly great, just kind of bland. I can see how someone might have grown up with it and would want it because it represents comfort and home, like boxed macaroni and cheese for me
I won't go out of my way to get Mushy Peas, but I'm glad I tried it.  

1 comment:

  1. That was a very cool research. Now you have to pay more attention next time you watch 'Pride and Prejudice'! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!