Friday, July 23, 2010

2nd Annual SGL Birthday Century Ride

My husband is an avid cyclist. At least when he has time. It is his preferred form of regular exercise and he tries to do different rides to mix it up and keep it interesting.

Last year for his birthday, he decided to ride to Alabama. 50 some miles there and 50 some miles back. In the cycling world a 100 mile ride is called a century. So, he jokingly called it his "Birthday Century Ride." He turned 50 last year and I jokingly said it was his "Feat of Strength To Prove He Wasn't An Old Man Ride."

Well, this year, for his birthday he did the ride again in 95+ degree heat. It took him 7 1/2 hours to ride 103 miles. (He took a detour off the route to get food).

I think I will call it the "SGL Birthday INSANITY Century Ride."

Happy Birthday Steave and even though I think you are insane it is rather incredible that you can accomplish even crazy things you set your mind to! I'm proud of you in a rather worried way.

If Joel can work up a t-shirt design, then you can order a t-shirt, bumper sticker, coffee mug or hat from the grand event and then maybe next year you can join him! We can go national!

Here are some photos he took while on his ride.

He's not throwing a gang sign, the #2.
The official beginning...
Joel and Steave used to climb here.The trail went right through a cemetery.
The Hills of Insanity (look in the distance).The Alabama Welcoming Committee

The End!

1 comment:

  1. I will surely experience withdrawal symptoms when your summer burst of blog creativity has to bow to the realities of your day job again. I guess I'll just have to settle for once a week.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!