Saturday, December 4, 2010

We're All Just Thieves

I suppose "real" artists are the ones who search for a truly unique expression. The rest of us are just thieves. I mean, maybe you're not, but I am. I find something I like and copy it. Sometimes with my own twist on the idea. Just like the strings of garland I just made. I saw them and copied them. I really love them. They are easy to make and look great!

The first one is just circles of paper sewn together...

I got some coordinating scrapbooking cardstock, drew 3 different sized circles (the top of a coke glass, the bottom of a coke glass and a spool of thread), cut them out and sewed them together. I sewed through the middle of the circle, did about 3 empty stitches between the circles so they could twirl and continued on. I made the whole thing before I was halfway through "French Kiss" (the movie, not the activity.) I love it! I can't remember where I saw it - following a blog trail no doubt. So, sorry, I can't remember who to give the credit to.

Then I saw a coffee filter garland idea and stole it! I had natural coffee filters and cut them down a bit because I wanted to use it in my small bathroom. Had I been making it for a larger room, I wouldn't have cut them at all. I also cut tissue paper circles in white and polka dot. I also had some natural funnel coffee filters that I rolled up to look like flowers (sort of) and strung them on natural string. I knotted the string to keep them from sliding one way or the other. I put them at intervals. In retrospect, I should have put the bunches a little closer together, but I like it.


I stole this idea from Pam Garrison and I think she was inspired by a display at Anthropologie. Hers are actually mucho better, but I like mine just the same.

I am now planning to steal a scarf idea...and the thievery goes on.

4 comments:

  1. Great title! I really like the circles, what a cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely! When I get my own home they are going to be filled with these sort of treasures. They just brighten up the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a slightly different take on the first few sentences. Only slightly. Haha. Check out this quote! I think I agree with it. In light of God, nothing is original.

    http://urbanexpo.blogspot.com/2010/12/nothing-is-original.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those circles!! Theft shmeft, I say. And get well, Jill!! We're fairly rocking the antibiotics in our house right now ...

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!