Friday, July 8, 2011

Another Adventure (albeit small) In British Food

Brown Sauce!


I was feeling a little down about not having any British food adventures lately and as I was watching "As Time Goes By" the British sitcom with Judi Dench...ahem, "Dame" Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer he says he needs to go out for some "brown sauce." He comes back with a bottle with HP on the label. I do a little internet search and find "HP Sauce."


A steak sauce popular in Britain but made in the Netherlands. HP is considered to refer to the Houses of Parliment where it was often served. HP Sauce became known as "Wilson's Gravy" in the 1960s and 1970s after Harold Wilson, the Labour Prime Minister. The name arose after Wilson's wife, Mary  gave an interview in which she claimed "If Harold has a fault, it is that he will drown everything with HP Sauce". In 1975, when Wilson addressed a banquet to celebrate 100 years since the formation of the Midlands Vinegar Company, he admitted that it was not HP Sauce that he was partial to, but was in fact Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. (I straight up stole that info from wikipedia, I read it elsewhere as well.)

Poor HP, didn't get much respect, did it?

Well, Geoffrey Palmer's character, Lionel, wanted the brown sauce to go over "sizzling sausages" so I bought some sausages to try it out on. It was...ok....sort of like A-1 steak sauce. Not remarkable, but pretty good. I ate it for breakfast for 2 days. The bottle will probably sit in the cabinet until I decide it's old and throw it out.

It was fun anyway. Got any suggestions for British food that I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!