Saturday, February 27, 2010

Wedding Stuff - Sand Ceremony

My niece, Emma, a few months younger than Joel, got married last month. As I am in "wedding mode" I took note of the details of the wedding. It was incredible!! Their wedding was at an inn on a mountain in Tennessee. It was snowing and everything was beautiful. There was one thing that I had never heard of and I thought it was cool - the sand ceremony.


When the parents came in, the mothers each carried a clear jar with colored sand. Emma's was one color and Matt's was another. At a point in the ceremony, the mother's gave their children the jar of sand and the poured their sand together, mixing it into one container. This is what was said:

"Today, Emma and Matt have chosen to commemorate their marriage through the celebration of the Sand Ceremony. This ceremony symbolizes the inseparable union of Matt and Emma into a new and eternal marital relationship. Emma and Matt will simultaneously pour separate containers of sand into a common vessel. Each grain of sand in their separate containers represents a unique and separate moment, decision, feeling or event that helped shape Emma and Matt into the separate and unique individuals they are today. As they pour their separate containers of sand into a common vessel, those separate and independent individuals will cease to exist. Instead, they will merge into a loving and supportive marital community. Emma and Matt, just as the grains of sand can never be separated into their individual containers again, so may your marriage be."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your visit and lovely comments Jill.
    I don't have a sister, Mother, Grandmother either but did not lose my Mother and Grandmother as early as you obviously.Hard for you.
    What a lovely idea the sand mixing is. I like that.
    You are such a creative person. The back of your front door is quite something. I clicked and enlarged to see the details.
    Nice to meet you. Memories of my time in Tennessee here.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!