Thursday, November 19, 2015

Throw Back Thursday: On Christian Pirates

 
 
I was reading back through some old Xanga posts from 2005 last night. I didn't realize that I had been blogging off and on for over 10 years!
 
One of the posts made me laugh out loud. It was from when my son Joel was in high school. In honor of "Throw Back Thursday" here it is:  

Have you ever heard something so funny that if you laughed hard enough to express how funny it is you'd break something? You just have to stop and say, "That is really funny" and then bust out laughing at inappropriate times throughout the day when you think about it. And when people say, "What's so funny?" you just have to wave them off and say, "nothing."

This probably won't be as funny to you as it was to me. But I've been able to laugh about it for a day or so and that's good. Thanks Clint and Joel for the laughter.

Clint said that he and Joel were talking about how they wish there were "Christian Pirates." Just that thought cracks me up. What would they do? They'd have to do just the opposite of real pirates because from what I've heard real pirates are definitely not sanctified and I really doubt they're saved at all because of all the pillaging and stealing and general wrecking of small seaside villages.

Would they commandeer ships and then witness to the crew as they bring food, water and other provisions on board instead of stealing it? Would they pass out Christian literature? Perhaps they'd bring aboard more modest clothing for the lady passengers? "Walking the plank" would probably mean a baptism. The parrot on the shoulder would probably say, "Amen" or "Preach it!" They'd probably gather for worship in some hidden cove of a Caribbean Island.

What was really funny was when Clint told me that Joel asked for prayer in class for "me crew." That IS how a pirate would give a prayer request. His praise report would probably sound like this, "Arrg! I'd like to tank me Heavenly Fadder for all his many blessin's. I got doubloons coming out me ears and me crew of me great ship, "The Pearl of Great Price" has been about witnessin' and we've taken many souls captive for our great Captain, Jesus Christ after we told those scurvy bilge rats to avast ye sinnin' ways!"

Thanks Clint and Joel for a laugh 10 years later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!