Monday, September 23, 2024

My Mother, The Diner: Introduction

 My Mother, The Diner: Introduction


Introduction

My relationship with food is difficult to describe. I've been to counselors to talk about it. When I talk about what I think and how I feel about food, people are confused. 

I love food, but I don't like it. 

I read cookbooks, and I am fascinated by the history of food and recipes, but I don't like to cook. 

If I think about cooking as a craft project, then it's more interesting, but I generally don't want to eat what I cook because when I'm finished making it, the interest is gone and I generally don't like to eat. 

The idea that food brings people together and bonds people is a beautiful idea, I want to be a part of that experience, but I have a visceral negative reaction to sitting at a table and eating a meal with people. I hate it. I panic and I run. 

So, I thought if I went back to the beginning of my relationship with food, and walked through it, I might understand it better. I thought maybe I could figure out where we went wrong and try to repair our relationship. 

Maybe you'd like to go with me? 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!