Monday, September 23, 2024

A Road Trip to Brownwood, TX

 My last post though published today, was actually written back in August when it was still summer. I just wanted to mention that. 

Today, it's actually quite nice, high in the 70s, and rainy. Fall has arrived, I think. 

I wanted to share about a spontaneous little trip Steave and I made to Brownwood, Texas. 

Steave having been out of work for 6 months now and having put off any travel to save money, we were experiencing cabin fever. So, I did a quick search on the internet, saw a photo of a book tunnel in a bookstore, and said, "Let's go there." 


2 1/2 hours later we were in Brownwood, Texas. 

First, we stopped at Underwood's Cafeteria for lunch. 


We slipped back to the 1950s when we walked through the door. The Musak elevator music set the tone. The decor, the food, everything was retro, not in an "on purpose" way but rather in a "just hadn't been changed" way. 



We got a meat and two sides. I got cherry cobbler and sweet tea. Classic! 

After lunch, we found the Intermission Bookshop not too far away. The owner saw me getting a photo outside and met us at the door with "Is this your first visit?" And then proceeded to tell us the history of the shop from when it used to be a movie theatre to the present day. I loved the lesson! 




The coolest thing to me was when she pointed to the spots on the wall above the stairs. She told us that when the space had been a theatre during WW2 and being located near a military base, soldiers would come in and sleep during the films. The pomade in their hair left spots on the wall where they slept. Their ghostly images can still be seen. 



I bought a few books and we rode around the area. It was a nice, little town. We'll probably go back! 

The Old Jail 

Lake Brownwood






No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!