Monday, January 20, 2014

Hopegivers 2014


I was honored to be asked to speak at Bethel Church's Hopegivers Seminar this past weekend. I love that church and it was great to be able to give back just a little of what they've given me.

I decided to share about stories. How stories are important. How OUR stories are important and how in the telling of our stories we give each other HOPE!
 
I shared a little "Mrs. Libby-ology" in that I think that there might be books in heaven, books about our lives. A little scary and a little exciting if you think about it.
 
 
 
"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." ~Psalm 139
 
 
If we view our lives as a story, especially a life story with God, then we can be assured of a happy ending! I think Jesus and Jane Austen are in agreement in that they want everyone to have a happy ending.
 
 
Our past is already written, but we can collaborate with God on our future, on the next hour, on the next minute and we can write a GREAT story with our lives!
 
If we are the main character, then we can choose to be the hero or a victim or a villain, it's our choice.
 
There is one thing we must remember about heroes:
 
 
In order to be a hero, he/she must fight a battle, overcome a great obstacle, survive a dangerous journey, or slay the dragon. A hero is not a hero without conflict!
 

Perhaps we should view our conflicts as opportunities to be a hero. Maybe it would give us confidence and strength to view our troubles as a chance to overcome, to win, to be victorious - to be the hero of our story. Maybe we wouldn't give up or give in so quickly. Maybe we would be encouraged to "do the right thing" instead of the selfish thing.  - Just a thought.
 
If we view our lives as stories, then perhaps we would see the people around us as characters in our stories and decide if they are helping move our story along to its happy ending or if they are a constant distraction or temptation to the hero (you) then perhaps you need to write them out of your story. Maybe you need to look for that loyal, supportive character to travel with you through your story.
 
We quite possibly need to decide if our setting is helping or hindering our hero. We might need a change of scenery.
 
What about the theme of our story? Have you ever met someone and they are just negative and critical and depressing? You know the theme of their story! Many people say they can't help being negative, that's the way they were raised or they blame events in their lives. I say "hogwash!" People can change the way they see life! If you look for the bad, that's all you'll see but if you look for the good you'll find it! What's the theme of your story? What do people say about you? Do they say, "she's always kind" or "she's always hateful"? You can decide what the theme of your story will be.
 
You can turn the page, end this chapter and begin a new one TODAY! I know old habits die hard, but if you keep working at it you can be the HERO of your story! The theme of your story can be LOVE and HOPE and PEACE!
 
Remember these verses:
 
2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."
 
Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
 
Isaiah 43:18-19 “Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."
 
Don't waste your time re-reading the old chapters you've written. God forgives. God heals. God restores. God reconciles!
 
Start writing your new chapter today!
 
Peace to you,
Jill
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments! Thanks for stopping by!